HAVE FAITH. EXPECT MIRACLES!
Be not afraid, only believe. Matthew 5:36

Friday, November 13, 2009

Our Pain Is Not Forever

Pain comes in many forms.  Physically, emotionally, mentally, even spiritually and temporally. 

Pain is hard to master.  It's hard to feel good or keep positive thoughts when you're in pain.  However, in the past few weeks as I have tried to redirect to more positive thinking, and on days or nights when I have been in enough pain that the moment is intense for me...I've experimented with a different strategy about my pain.  In the past it has helped me to focus on the Savior and the pain He suffered.  I know He suffered my exact pain.  That always helped.  But recently, instead of thinking of pain as my enemy, something to be feared, I have concentrated on pain as my friend.  Something to be grateful for.  Pain is such a great teacher.  If we let it, pain really does bring us closer to the Savior.  Isn't it wonderful to have something in our lives that brings us in such close remembrance of Him?

I came upon this quote by Neal A. Maxwell about a week ago, in his book (that I'm reading) "Not My Will, but Thine Be Done" and he said something so truly profound to me:  "If we truly follow Christ in our life's journey, we will share to some extent in His experiences, which can help us to become more like Him."

If anyone was well acquainted with pain and suffering, it was Him.

And I wonder...does pain come to us so the Lord can get our attention?  Is it part of His loving tutoring?  His way of getting us back to Him? 

I've been doing a yoga program for about the last 5 years or so.  It's been so good for me.  It's called "Healing Yoga For Aches & Pains" by Anchor Bay with instructors Charles and Lisa Matkin. 
I actually found it by googling for help back in the beginning of my fibromyalgia.  I originally ordered a VHS and literally wore that out, and then purchased the DVD...that's how beneficial it's been for me.  During the workout they teach you how to breath loving compassion into the painful areas of your body.  And to let the pain drift and melt into the floor beside you.  It's such a gentle approach to pain...pain who really should be considered our friend, our teacher.

I have noticed lately, during my painful moments, if I talk to the pain, my body relaxes and it's so much easier to endure it.  I tell my pain I'm not afraid of you.  You're my friend.  And I thank you for teaching me.  If you wouldn't mind too much, would you be willing to drift a while beside me, but don't go too far away because you will always be my friend.

This summer, someone gave me this poem.  It's so beautiful.  It sums it all up, really.

I asked God to take away my pain. 
God said, no.
It's not for me to take away, but for you to give it up.

I asked God to grant me patience.
God said, no.
Patience is a by-product of tribulations; it isn't granted, it is earned.

I asked God to give me happiness.
God said, no.
I give you blessings.  Happiness is up to you.

I asked God to spare me suffering. 
God said, no.
Suffering draws you apart from worldly cares and brings you closer to me.

I asked God for all things that I might enjoy life.
God said, no.
I will give you life so that you may enjoy all things.

I asked God to help me love others, as much as He loves me.
God said, Aha, finally, you have the idea.
-annonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment