HAVE FAITH. EXPECT MIRACLES!
Be not afraid, only believe. Matthew 5:36

Monday, November 9, 2009

Ask*Believe*Receive

Surprisingly, or not, this is part of the Law of Attraction in "The Secret."  They say, all you have to do is ask the "universe"...then believe (nothing wavering), and then receive.  Meaning, ask only once, believe and receive as though you have already received what you ask for.  This might work for those who don't know God's truth the way I do.  I do believe God desires to give us many things, and he tells us in many places in the scriptures to "ask, and it shall be given you."  But I also know that God knows what is best for each of us.  For me, "the car of my dreams" (which I actually don't need a car of my dreams because I love the car I have) or a big house, or a huge income, etc. might not be in my best interest...it may not be on my "mortal education agenda."  However, I have put some time and thought into this concept.  Maybe we don't have more of an abundance in our lives because we don't feel deserving of it, or we don't try hard enough to achieve it, or we just don't know how to accept such great things of God.

I had an experience after my first year of college.  I needed a job in a college town, where, during the late 70's, it was extremely difficult to find a job in that town.  I looked so young, and maybe didn't have quite enough job experience, or confidence in finding a job, or even a vehicle to get around to apply for a job.  There were no computers in those days.  But it was very important to me, so I decided to put my trust in the Lord to help me.  I began to pray sincerely (perhaps I even fasted, but I don't remember that part).  I do remember being on my knees and receiving the impression to read my scriptures.  So, I began doing that daily.  I continued to pray, and trust the Lord as best I could, even though I was still worried.  A few weeks later I came to 2 Nephi 4:35 which reads  "Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh.  Yea, my God will give me if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness.  Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee my rock and mine everlasting God."

True faith entered my heart.  I knew what I asked of God was not amiss, it was very important.  Just a few days later, a miracle occurred.  A job was laid open for me without even filling out a job application, and it was a wonderful job working in a big department store.  I will be forever grateful for that experience as it has helped me greatly build upon my faith in the years since, and gave me a testimony of the importance of reading my scriptures.

The verse preceeding that verse says:
"O Lord, I have trusted in thee and I will trust in thee forever!"  (2 Nephi 4:34)  And that is exactly how I will feel to the end of my mortal existence and beyond!

In Matthew 7:7, 8, 11 it says, "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find:  knock, and it shall be opened unto you....for everyone that asketh, receiveth....if ye know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven, give good things to them that ask Him."

God knows the desires of our hearts, if they be righteous, or evil.  But even the evil are often granted their heart's desires.  They will have to stand accountable for their stewardship over God's gifts, just as the righteous will.  If we desire righteous things, even wealth, and desire to do good with it, I believe God would grant it, if He thought it good.

However, one of the biggest messages given in the Book of Mormon is a warning about prosperity.  God always prospered His people when they were righteous.  But then His people would forget about Him in their prosperity, which led to pride, which led to destruction...even the ultimate destruction of two entire nations!  I think praying for an abundant life is a righteous desire, as long as we are firmly planted in gospel soil, with an unwavering testimony--as long as we trust God in granting whatever abundance He sees fit to give us, and believing that we'll receive what is most needed.  And as long as we are willing to use that wealth to benefit His purposes.

Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin talked about "the abundant life" in April 2006 General Conference.  As in the book "The Secret," wealth and abundance is a whole lot more than just having lots of money, an big home, a nice car.  Wealth and abundance is wrapped up in all things good: love, joy, peace, truth, health, relationships, talents, etc.   God has given all of us gifts that can bless the world around us, and those we associate with.

Elder Wirthlin said,  "The abundant life does not come to us packaged and ready-made. It’s not something we can order and expect to find delivered with the afternoon mail. It does not come without hardship or sorrow. It comes through faith, hope, and charity. And it comes to those who, in spite of hardship and sorrow, understand the words of one writer who said, “In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.” (Albert Camus)  The abundant life isn’t something we arrive at. Rather, it is a magnificent journey that began long, long ages ago and will never, never end....Our search for the abundant life is cloaked not only in the robes of this mortal clay; its true end can only be comprehended from the perspective of the eternities that stretch infinitely before us."

I do believe a lot of spiritual growth can be had in asking and believing.

As thou hast believed, so it shall be done. -Matthew 8:13

And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.  -Matt 21:22

Be not afraid, only believe.  -Matt 5:36

If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.  -Mark 9:23

Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.  -Mark 9:24

I say unto you, what things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.  - Mark 11:24

Believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.  1 Cor. 12:7

Then receive.  With thankful hearts.  Feel good about what God wants to give you.  Recognize and acknowledge all His gifts.

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.  -James 1:17

A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.  -John 3:27  (does that sound like coming from the Universe, as the LOA states?)

Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss.  -James 4:3

When anyone obtains anything from God, it is by obedience to the law on which that blessing is predicated.  (D&C 130:21) 

LOA:  "Inspired action is sometimes required, but it's effortless, like floating down a river with the current.  If you try too hard, it will feel like swimming against the current and doesn't work."

Of course, as a Latter-day Saint, I know God does require action of us.  Faith, without works is dead.  (James 2:26)  But I can see how the LOA comes into play.  The more good we DO, the more good that comes our way, and the more we feel good!  It rings truth, that what we send out, as thoughts and feelings, does come back to us, multiplied!  We know service brings us the greatest joys, why?  Because we lose ourselves in the service of others--our old self, our selfish self.

In the end, I believe that the only way to "ask, believe, and receive" is as we align our will with God's will and are submissive to what He wants us to do...then the blessings and abundance will be ours, clear into the eternities.

No comments:

Post a Comment